Is Your Pet Receiving Exceptional Medical Care?
As with human medicine, it can be very difficult for pet owners to know if their pet is receiving quality medical care. Good relationships with your veterinarian and staff are very important. We have compiled several guidelines to help you.
- Are there licensed veterinary technicians on staff?
- Do the veterinarians and staff actively participate in continuing education?
- Is the hospital facility clean and well maintained?
- Does the hospital require that all pets admitted into the facility to be up to date on all vaccinations?
- Does the hospital use gas anesthesia during surgery? If so, what kind? Isoflorane is gold standard.
- Does the hospital monitor your pet’s vital functions when anesthetized by using cardiac, respiratory and blood pressure monitors?
- Does the hospital monitor your pet’s body temperature and offer safe-heating elements while your pet is anesthetized?
- Does the hospital have an endotracheal tube in place while your pet is anesthetized?
- Does the hospital staff recommend pre-anesthesia blood work? If so, what do they offer?
- Does the hospital offer intravenous catheter and intravenous fluids even for “routine” or elective procedures?
- Do the veterinarians perform a pre-anesthetic examination to assure no medical conditions have arisen since the last visit?
- Does the hospital offer laser surgery? Lasers replace the traditional scalpel blade to cauterize superficial blood vessels and deaden superficial nerves. This reduces pain and bleeding at the surgery site.
- Does the hospital have a pre-emptive, aggressive pain control protocol?
- If your pet has a complicated medical condition, is the veterinarian willing to refer you to a specialist or a veterinarian with advanced training in the appropriate field?
- Does the hospital make provisions for emergency care or offer an alternate facility?
We are very proud to say that Union Lake Veterinary Hospital meets all of the above-mentioned criteria and many more! If you want exceptional care for your pet, it is important to be aware of these guidelines.
We are proud to offer the best in:
Preventative medicine, Endoscopy, Ultrasound, Dermatology, Cardiology, Internal medicine, General surgery, Orthopedics, Radiology, Dentistry, Dental radiology, Periodontal surgery, Nursing care, Intensive care, Laboratory, Pharmacy, Physical rehabilitation, Training, Behavior counseling, Daycare, Boarding and Grooming