Mother’s Day is right around the corner, and that means kids everywhere are busily crafting homemade cards, macaroni picture frames and handprint flowers. But what about “pet moms”? Just because our pets’ lack of opposable thumbs prohibits them from constructing a bouquet of flowers out of pipe cleaners, does that mean we shouldn’t celebrate this special day, too?
Your friends at Union Lake Veterinary Hospital believe that a mom is a mom, regardless of species! Pet parents work hard to fulfill the needs of their fur babies and we think Mother’s Day is the perfect opportunity to honor the special pet mom in your life!
Why Should Pet Moms Celebrate Mother’s Day?
Have you ever stayed up all night to watch over a sick pet? Have you struggled with behavior issues, exhaustively researched reputable pet food companies, used your precious free time to cart a pet to the vet or the groomer, woken up at the crack of dawn to let your pet out, or any of the other time consuming, exhausting, and rewarding tasks that go with responsible pet ownership?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you qualify as a pet parent.
Anyone who has ever had the privilege of sharing their life with a four-legged friend knows that pets are like children in many ways. They need their human mom for so much more than food and shelter; they rely on her for love, compassion, and the deep bond and connection that every pet needs in order to live a happy and fulfilled life.
Celebrating Mother’s Day With Pets
Although you surely deserve it, your dog or cat is probably not going to bring you breakfast in bed, so you’ll have to take it upon yourself to find a meaningful way to celebrate Mother’s Day with pets. Show yourself and your pet some love with these fun ideas:
- Grab a takeout meal, a blanket, and your pet’s favorite toys and share a picnic and spend the day together playing outdoors.
- Pick out a card for a deserving pet mom in your life. Many stores now offer a special section of cards labeled “From the Dog” or “From the Cat”.
- Schedule a professional photo shoot for you and your best pal, or just shoot a few selfies together. Have your favorite picture framed and hang it in a place of honor in your home.
- Snuggle up on the couch together and watch your pet’s (ahem, your) favorite animal movie like “Marley & Me”, “Beethoven”, “Milo And Otis”, or “Must Love Dogs”.
- What better way to celebrate your role as a pet mom than by adopting a shelter pet? Mother’s Day is the perfect opportunity to add to your animal family.
The thing that most moms truly want on mother’s day (besides sleep) is some quality time together with their family members, both two-legged and four. No matter how you choose to celebrate with your pet, you can be assured that just spending time together will be a gift in itself.