Halloween is fast approaching, and Union Lake Veterinary Hospital wants to make sure that you and your pets have a wonderful and safe holiday.

Please be sure to steer clear of the following Halloween pet dangers:

Chocolate poisoning Ingestion of chocolate can lead to serious complications. Lower doses cause hyper-excitability, vomiting, and diarrhea, while higher doses may lead to seizure, heart arrhythmias, and death. If you think your pet has ingested chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately.

Candy wrappers Ingestion of candy wrappers, especially foil and cellophane, can cause digestive upset or a life-threatening bowel obstruction. Keep these away from curious pets.

Raisins Raisins (and grapes, too) are a serious danger to dogs. Even small amounts of these can cause kidney failure.  Any ingestion of raisins or grapes is a serious concern. If you suspect ingestion, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Over-indulgence Over the holidays many pets over indulge on large amounts of sugary, high-fat foods. This can then lead to digestive upset and sometimes pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a serious problem which results in severe abdominal pain. It may not appear until several days afterward.

Decorations Ribbons, fake spider webs, tinsel, and other decorative items can look like tasty toys to some pets. Ingestion can result in a bowel obstruction. Also be careful with glow sticks, which can cause irritation of the mouth if punctured.

Trick-or-treaters While you are opening the door to hand out candy to those costumed cuties, your pet might be sneaking out. Trick-or-treating can be a stressful experience for some pets. Be sure to keep you dogs and cats in a safe location so that they do not become lost.

Do your best to keep your pets safe this Halloween. Make sure that all chocolate, candy, and decorations out of the reach of your pets. If you suspect that your pet may have ingested something that it shouldn’t have, never hesitate to call your veterinarian.