February is Dental Health Month and we are beginning our celebration early by sharing some great tips with you.
Union Lake Veterinary Hospital believes in the importance of proper dental care for pets so much, that we are offering a special discount. All pets will receive 10% off of dental cleanings performed in the month of February (up to a $25 value). Call and book your pet’s appointment today.
Here are the top ten reasons to do your best to keep your pet’s mouth healthy:
- Clean, white teeth make for a great smile.
- Owners that pay attention to their pet’s mouths are paying closer attention to their pet’s overall health. This means that they are more likely to pick up on subtle changes that might indicate a problem.
- About two-thirds of pet owners don’t provide any dental care for their pets. This doesn’t mean it isn’t important, however. Be better than average.
- Spending time with your pet is important, no matter whether you are playing with them or brushing their teeth. Home tooth brushing can be accomplished in most pets and is a very powerful tool. Brushing on at least an every other day basis has been shown to significantly reduce plaque and tartar buildup. Be sure to use a brush and paste specifically for pets and start slowly.
- Kisses are much better without tuna breath. The bacteria contained in plaque and tartar can produce sulfur, creating a foul odor.
- To put things in perspective, imagine going your entire life without ever using a toothbrush or visiting the dentist.
- When plaque and tartar accumulate, they can lead to gingivitis, tooth root abscesses, and even tooth loss.
- A diseased mouth can be very painful. Pets do not express pain like people, but they can feel it. Just because they cannot tell us they hurt does not mean that they do not deserve relief.
- Periodontal disease allows bacteria to gain access to the blood stream, leading to disease of other major organs such as the heart, kidneys, and liver. This is a big reason why your pet should have healthy teeth.
- Pets who have proper dental care live longer, happier lives. On average they will live two years longer than their more unfortunate counterparts. What an easy way to increase the odds of having your faithful companion by your side just a little longer.